Historically, traditional early childhood and grade school programs have been geared towards the employment-focused academic skill set of public schools, excluding the kind of education which can assist children in recognizing and comprehending the world around them.
Our philosophy is that a healthy and sustainable early childhood curriculum should create the container for children to both acquire and practice thinking skills, communication skills, and tools for emotional regulation. It should nurture children’s innate sense of caring for, and about, nature and all its inhabitants, while supporting and modeling choices and decisions that are grounded in both an Earth and human-centered ethic that celebrates diversity and does not exploit or exclude.
We foster eco-literacy by giving children:
- The opportunity to participate in varied learning experiences integrating many knowledge areas.
- The opportunity for unstructured time – time “to be” and to contemplate, in a natural setting.
- The opportunity to observe changes in an environment over time.
- The opportunity to play a valued part in real life activities (e.g. gardening, cooking, building, caring for animals, producing art)
- The opportunity to develop collaborative, investigative and critical thinking skills.
- Exposure to multiple languages and rich diversity.
- Encouragement of a sense of wonder about the natural world.
- Multiple learning experiences that focus on sustainability and the beginning development of eco-consciousness.
- Exposure to biomimicry, a rich framework for teaching that can be used to address a wide range of topics and environmental literacy – all with a hopeful message that encourages students to be positive agents for change in the world.*
It is this combination of academics combined with mindfulness and our eco-conscious approach that makes Origins Curriculum truly unique. Designed for classroom teachers and home educators, Origins offers preschool curriculum for teachers and families of children ages 3 – 5 and a homeschool curriculum for children ages kindergarten through 6th grade. Our lesson plans are based on 3 essential understandings:
The opportunity to participate in varied learning experiences integrating many knowledge areas.
- That the Earth is a living body of interconnected patterns of relationships,
- That by knowing natures’ ways we can learn more about who we are and how we are part of nature and,
- That mindfulness is a way for us to know ourselves and experience our belonging to the Earth.
With these principles in mind, we are embarking on a new paradigm of early childhood education… to not only give children a strong academic foundation, but to support the philosophies and ideals that will create a generation of emotionally healthy people who value the wise use of resources, cultural diversity, gender equality and a sense of democracy.
Join us and experience the Origins Effect!
*Kolan, Padmaja & Madhumathi, Prof. Ecoliteracy- Role of Early childhood Education.
Who Are We?
Who Lives Here?
How are we Connected?
Creator and Author Genevieve de Alva
Founder & President, Origins Education
Founder & CEO, Origins Curriculum
Preschool Lesson Plan Author & Developer Amanda Steffes
Director & General Manager, Origins Drop-In Center
Contributing Preschool Lesson Plan Author & Developer Karla Reppe
Lead Teacher, Origins Education
Homeschool Fall Mandala Author Penelope Baquero
Homeschool Fall Mandala Contributing Author Zachary Morris
Alive at Learn
Homeschool Winter, Spring & Summer Mandala Author Zachary Morris
Alive at Learn
Homeschool Winter, Spring & Summer Mandala Contributing Author Penelope Baquero
Preschool & Homeschool Contributing Author Ashley Meyora
Director, Origins Education
Customer Relations Manager & Creative Director, Origins Curriculum
Origins Education opened its first location in Missoula, Montana in 2011 and has since opened three more locations, with the 5th opening in early 2021. We serve families with infants all the way through to kindergarten.
Our mission is to nurture a sense of caring for the Earth and all its inhabitants and to support choices and decisions grounded in an Earth and human-centered ethic that celebrates diversity and does not exploit or exclude. It is this combination of our high quality kindergarten-readiness, combined with our eco-conscious approach that makes Origins Preschool truly unique.
We feel that there has never been a more important time to share our curriculum with the world. It is our hope that by sharing the principles and ideals that we’ve been using at all of our locations, that we can help contribute to a kinder, more sustainable world for all of us.